Julie Amundson - Career breaks, job search amidst hiring freezes, positioning yourself and much more - #20
Julie Amundson is a Sr Staff Software Engineer at Google working on Machine Learning Infrastructure. Prior to Google, she was the Director of Machine Learning Infrastructure at Netflix leading the team that developed Metaflow - a framework to develop ML projects. Prior to that, her career ranges from working in the public sector on large scientific programs to the first generation of streaming service at Netflix and various flavors of startups.
Julie decided to take a career break last year when she was affected by mass layoffs. In this conversation, we talk about her taking experience of finding a Senior role in tech amidst hiring freezes at most companies, what it was like to position herself in this market, what interviews were like, whether the interviewers cared about the career break she took and how taking a career break changed her perspective towards work and life. Please enjoy this conversation with Julie Amundson.
Music CreditsVlad Gluschenko — Forest
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
- Kelsey Hightower - On retiring as Distinguished Engineer from Google at 42 - Part 2 - #22
- Kelsey Hightower - On retiring as Distinguished Engineer from Google at 42 - Part 1 - #21
- Chris Pruett - On deciding to leave LinkedIn and co-founding Jam, values based decision making and compassionate leadership - #19
- Kailash Nadh - On being an absurdist and building the tech team at Zerodha, India's largest stock broker - #18
- Cory Watson - Leading observability teams at Twitter & Stripe, how to succeed in a new org, effective ways to advocate for your team and more - #16