Kelsey Hightower - On retiring as Distinguished Engineer from Google at 42 - Part 2 - #22
Kelsey Hightower recently announced his retirement. Prior to his retirement, he was a Distinguished Engineer at Google, where he worked on Google Cloud Platform. He has worn every hat possible throughout his career in tech and enjoys leadership roles focused on making things happen and shipping software. He is a strong open source advocate with a focus on building great software as well as great communities around them. He is also an accomplished author and keynote speaker with a knack for demystifying complex topics, doing live demos and enabling others to succeed. When he is not writing code, you can catch him giving technical workshops covering everything from programming to system administration.
In this second part of the conversation, we focus on Kelsey’s retirement - the financial planning that enabled him to retire at 42, how he got started advising startups and his perspectives on compensation, turning down a substantial offer from Microsoft and meeting Satya Nadella in person. And, of course, plans for the future.
Music CreditsVlad Gluschenko — Forest
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
- Kelsey Hightower - On retiring as Distinguished Engineer from Google at 42 - Part 1 - #21
- Julie Amundson - Career breaks, job search amidst hiring freezes, positioning yourself and much more - #20
- Chris Pruett - On deciding to leave LinkedIn and co-founding Jam, values based decision making and compassionate leadership - #19
- Kailash Nadh - On being an absurdist and building the tech team at Zerodha, India's largest stock broker - #18
- Cory Watson - Leading observability teams at Twitter & Stripe, how to succeed in a new org, effective ways to advocate for your team and more - #16